Sunday, June 05, 2005

First solo client site is up

Well, I've finally got my client's site, Pinnacle Consulting Services, up and running. I've still got a few pages to go and a php page to upload files to allow for the dynamic creation of a client list, but for the most part it is finished. Thankfully, I'm in negotiations for a longer contract right now and may also get the chance to work for another company (although I don't know yet if they want me as a contractor or an employee), doing stuff related to SCADA - it is in the petroleum and natural gas sector, so I'll be happy if I can get it. As everybody in Calgary knows, this is the sector that really counts for getting experience in, regardless of your discipline.

A busy week coming up with some meetings, a Microsoft presentation on Tuesday and of course my MCAD/MCSD certification group meeting, along with the finishing up of the above mentioned website and writing our a proposal. At some point I should also redesign my corporate site - I've found a lot of graphic design ideas that I want to incorporate into it...

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to determine how to shape my career. Being still in the Junior/Intermediate level, I see conflicting reports in the media about the future of IT, from IT being one of the best growing industry's in the next few years to IT being reverted to mere support for companies with little use for new developers. Meanwhile, companies are always wanting more skills with more years behind each skill just to give an interview to a candidate - going for more bang for the buck I guess. However, from a developer's position, it is ridiculous - we must both be super specialized, but a jack of all trades at the same time. To complicate matters furthers, there are reports of companies now looking for management and business-related skills to further increase the value of new hires. So, should I continue with academic learning? Should I struggle to etch a niche for myself in this extremely fast paced industry where technologies change within months? So far I'm going with the latter, as I feel it is my lack of experience in general that hampers me the most for looking for sustainable employment...

No comments: