Monday, March 08, 2010

Moving from Ubuntu to openSUSE

Been several months since I've posted, but I've been distracted. Anyway, started using openSUSE-11.2 yesterday as I've been having problems with Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10. I've been having issues with using wireless on 9.04 (I've got a wireless NIC that isn't supported on 9.04), but there are known problems with software RAIDs on 9.10, and from what I've been reading, will continue to be in the upcoming 10.4. Disappointing, as I've grown to love working on Ubuntu. But maybe time for something new....

So after downloading an ISO that requires a DVD (another thing to like about Ubuntu - you only need a CD to install), I was somewhat underwhelmed by the install experience. There were several bugs that occurred, including putting the GRUB boot loaded in the wrong portion of the hard-drive (you aren't given an option during the initial install). Also, you can only choose KDE or Gnome for the desktop and must install the other after logging into the new system. On the other hand, it installed itself on the RAID with no issue and connected to the wireless network easily once I entered the required info.

Despite some amazing upgrades to desktop environment in KDE 4, I still prefer Gnome. I find that KDE looks less polished and tries too much to be similar to the look and feel of Windows. Conversely, Gnome looks more unique and sophisticated. Also I generally like Gnome's applications better. The bad thing is in SUSE, the menu is too complex to easily open up and quickly find an application to launch - rather you must open a full page menu that takes up most of the screen and then search for it. Ubuntu's menu system is more simple and I find more functional.

First impressions are that openSUSE will be fine once I adjust to it. I must admit - I much prefer the green themes that openSUSE uses as compared to the nauseating oranges and browns that Ubuntu has traditionally gone for!

No comments: