Sunday, April 01, 2007

Back on Linux


I finally got a Linux Ubuntu distro to work on my computer. One of my main problems with Linux is trying to get a distro to work on an AMD64 machine with an ATI card. While ATI may be one of the leading video card manufacturers, they suck at getting out Linux drivers. It should not be such a pain to get a system to basic functionallity - even as a professional in computers it is still difficult for me to get things working on Linux. So, after an hour of fighting with the xorg.conf file, I managed to get the desktop working...

Nonetheless, I am impressed at how far Linux desktop has come in the past couple of years. I used to use Red Hats Linux distros as they were easy to install, but because of their refusal to support MP3 players, I've never really thought Red Hat and Fedora were a lot of fun to use. Ubuntu, on the other hand is much more pleasant. One this I thought was really handy was the system automatically found my other hard drive that runs my Window's OS, and places an icon on the desktop that allows me to browse through it - so easy to grab pic, music, etc.

Now back to exploring what this thing can do!

No comments: