Thursday, January 13, 2005

Another development tool to learn

My colleagues here are beginning to play around with Macromedia's Flex platform - it is sweet! Really nice, smooth controls with an elegant looking GUI. Loaded with lots neat tricks that would require a lot of coding in .Net framework and Javascript requires very little coding in the Java based environment. Another nice thing is a compact, fully explainable API (anybody who has developed with .Net knows what I'm talking about - how many thousands of pages are on MSDN?) I think that when I get some free time I'm going to download the demo version and start playing with it - of course to be able to afford a full version of it will be a ways in the distance because of the costs.

But in the meantime, back to Java and re-learning XML and getting used to the Flex environment... It will be fun get some knowledge and experience on a tool before it becomes too common - might even gain me an advantage in the marketplace to get some contracts. Of course, Macromedia's current charge for hosting Flex sites are going to keep all but the biggest companies away for a while, but until then, a small window of advantage.

No comments: